Downtown murder suspects in custody, charged

Updated: April 26, 2007 - 1:59 pm

Two men have been charged with murder for the Sept. 20 shooting of Emmanuel Sieh near the Hawthorne Transit Center near South 9th Street and Hawthorne Avenue. For the first time, officials have stated that the killing — Downtown’s third this year — was not random.

A Hennepin County Attorney’s office press release alleges that 20-year-old Marqual Romon Turner and 19-year-old Laithon Jeremy Woods knew Sieh, the victim, and attempted to rob him before he was shot several times in the back, chest and hip. Turner allegedly admitted to police that he shot Sieh after the victim tried to grab a handgun that the other defendant, Woods, had pulled. Woods allegedly admitted that he and Turner had approached Sieh with the intent to rob him but told police that Sieh grabbed for Turner’s gun, and that Turner shot the victim four times.

Officers found evidence at the scene of two guns with different calibers, according to the release.

The release stated that Turner and Woods are in custody and are being held on bail of $2 million each. The two men had been charged previously in connection with a separate robbery, said Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar.

Two weeks ago, Minneapolis Police Department Capt. Rich Stanek, confirmed that five men arrested for robbery early in the week of Oct. 10 might be linked to the Sept. 20 murder. The release stated that an investigation led police to “a group of young men … together at the scene when the murder took place.”

Three witnesses (possibly the other three robbery suspects) also gave detailed accounts of the shooting. Two told police that Turner allegedly shot the victim, but witnesses also reported that Woods had a .22-caliber handgun, according to the county’s release. One witness was unsure which man shot Sieh.

Both men face first- and second-degree murder charges. The case will go before a grand jury, Klobuchar said.

Deangelo Davis, suspected of the Aug. 12 murder of Anthony Doyle — Downtown’s second of the year — was scheduled to appear in court Monday, Oct. 31.